On April 12, Dr. Brian Sellers will perform screenings from 2:30 to 4:00 PM at McCook’s Pharmacy on Highway 80.
The following day, on April 13, Dr. Suketu Patel will offer screenings from 3:30 to 5:00 PM at Walker Pharmacy & Boutique on Brampton Avenue.
Facts about oral cancer
- Oral cancer affects 43,000 individuals yearly in the US alone.
- The death rate from oral cancer is very high; about 43% of those diagnosed will not survive more than five years.
- EARLY DETECTION IS KEY.
- Monthly self-examination is suggested.
- Yearly screenings by your dentist or general doctor are recommended (it only takes 3-5 minutes)
Risk factors you can control
- Tobacco use
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- The combined use of tobacco and alcohol
- Use of betel nut and bedis (chewing tobacco)
- Excessive unprotected exposure to the sun (likelihood of lip cancers)
- Low intake of fruits and vegetables