Youth Career Camp Inc.(YCCI), a youth & young adult development organization was founded 14 years ago by Statesboro Pastor Wayne Williams, has a few spaces still available for this year’s class which begins virtually this week. Students between the ages of 14 to 21 are encouraged to apply.
The Youth Career Camp classes will be virtual and will last between 2-4 hours per day for two weeks.
Students who successfully complete the camp will be eligible to receive a Microsoft Training Certification.
Due to the delay in the start of the camp to configure the curriculum to a virtual format, they have opened registration for eight more students. They are also expanding the registration to all students, not just low income, and rural students in our region. Scholarships are available for all accepted students and assistance with technology is an option.
“YCCI provides an incredible opportunity for students who have a desire to make a difference in their life and their community”, said Pastor Williams. “There are no financial or academic requirements. All a student needs is a thirst and a desire to learn and improve their lives in every way.”
Interested students can apply by the end of the day on Monday, July 27th. Click here to access the online application.
YCCI is normally an immersive, two-week residential camp held on the Georgia Southern Campus in partnership with GSU, BIG, OTC and corporate and educational partners. YCCI focuses on students from rural and low-income families in our region. The curriculum focuses on how to navigate the challenges they will face in the process of becoming responsible adults, and also helps to shape their future. YCCI makes these methods fun, exciting, and explorative. This creates a desire for youth to learn and reach their full potential.
The programs YCCI helps to stimulate a desire for higher education as they connect classroom academics to their future aspirations. Every aspect of what the participants experience in their programs is designed to reflect life lessons, and teachable moments through fun activities and new discoveries. Part of their goal is to also build strong communities with empowered youth and young adults.
YCCI Program Purpose and Goals:
- To help Youth and Young Adults make good lifestyle decisions, to deter the negative impacts of bad choices in the future
- Inspire youth to discover their own passion, purpose, and careers
- Help cultivate a clear vision for their future
- To make training and learning applicable, enjoyable, and retainable
- Demonstrate the value of education and the rewards of hard work
- Give youth a broader perspective on life
- Provide youth from low income and rural areas with an exciting educational summer experience not available otherwise
- To provide training which includes but is not limited to:
- The Web-based job application process
- Résumé portfolio preparation
- Job Interview skills
- Entrepreneurial and Small Business Development
- Personal attire and professional image projection
- Preparation for higher education
- Financial literacy
- Health, Wellness, and Fitness Training
For the past 13 years, Pastor Williams and his team have been successful in transforming students’ lives in part because of remarkable community support. Ordinarily it costs them around $1,700 per student for the two-week camp. They raise 100% of these funds in the community. This removes financial obligations from becoming a barrier for an ambitious student’s interest in participating.
Click here to contribute personally, through your business, church or civic organization. They encourage you to join the ranks of supporters investing in our future; it is an investment in our community that continues to pay huge returns in the lives of these young adults.