Qualifying for the City of Statesboro’s Municipal General Election opens on Monday, August 16th at 8:30 a.m. through Friday, August 20th at 4:30 p.m. Candidates who wish to qualify for an office should file their notice of candidacy with Leah Harden the cities Clerk and Election Superintendent at City Hall.
The City of Statesboro’s Municipal General Election will be held on Tuesday, November 2, 2021, to fill the offices of Mayor, and City Council Seats 1 and 4.
All three incumbents are seeking re-election. Jonathan McCollar is the incumbent Mayor, Phil Boyum serves at the district 1 representative and John Riggs serves as the district 4 representative.
Councilman Riggs announced his intentions not to seek reelection a few months back during a city council meeting. He has since reversed course and announced that he has decided to seek reelection.
The qualifying fee for Mayor is $560 and for city council it is $227.
The last day to register to vote in the upcoming city election is October 4, 2021.
Qualifications to run for Mayor or Council
The City of Statesboro operates under the Council-Manager form of government, established by a 1999 Charter amendment.
- The Mayor is elected at large while the five council members are elected by district.
- All elections are non-partisan, and terms are for four years with three of the members elected every two years.
- The mayor and members of the city council shall serve for terms of four years and until their respective successors are duly elected and qualified.
- No person shall be eligible to serve as council member unless he or she has been a resident of the district which he or she seeks to represent for 12 months immediately preceding the election.
- Each member of the city council shall continue to reside within the district he or she is representing during his or her entire term of office and shall be registered and qualified to vote in the municipal elections of the city.
- Persons qualifying for the city council must have attained the age of 25 years.
- Persons qualifying for the position of mayor shall have attained the age of 30 years and must have been a resident of the City of Statesboro for at least two years.