Squash the Spread, a group of concerned citizens organized to slow the spread of COVID-19 in Statesboro and Bulloch County, announced the first recipients of its Kindness Campaign awards.
The Kindness Campaign is designed to recognize businesses and other organizations in Statesboro and Bulloch County that are actively working to promote preventive measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Awardees are nominated by community members who complete a short form on the Squash the Spread website.
For the month of June 2021, Squash the Spread recognized the following businesses:
- Cheeky Bliss–For following CDC recommendations both in public work areas and behind the scenes; encouraging employees to follow COVID protocols and quarantine guidelines and allowing them to do so without fear of repercussions.
- Dr. Aaron Davidson Opthalmology– For requiring masks; Clients staying in their cars until the nurse/receptionist comes to get them; Dr. Davidson inquiring about clients’ health and vaccination status; Temperature checks.
- Statesboro/Bulloch County Library– For requiring masks for entry; Quarantining books before they are returned to the shelves; Temporary holders for books touched before going back into circulation; Ample supplies of hand sanitizer and Plexiglass partitions; Limiting the number of families in the children’s area; Online and phone pick-ups with craft kits.
- Bulloch County Health Department & Wellness Center– For providing COVID testing, vaccines, and community education throughout the pandemic.
For the month of July 2021, Squash the Spread recognizes the following businesses:
- Statesboro Main Street Farmers’ Market–For mask distribution and drive-thru farmers markets
- Serenity Day Spa–For service providers wearing masks in ways consistent with the CDC guidelines; Patrons engaging in screening questions prior to coming; Allowing people to reschedule if sick or exposed; Polite framing of messaging regarding COVID-19
- Best Friends Animal Hospital–For limiting the number of people in the waiting area; Clear patient protocols for arrival and departure; Mask use consistent with the CDC guidelines
- Gateway Animal Hospital–For enhanced drop-off/pick-up protocols and contactless appointments.
“We are excited to celebrate the people and organizations that continue to take steps to reduce the spread of COVID-19 in our community,” says Karen Naufel, Squash the Spread Co-Chair.