The ceremony was emceed by Darin Van Tassell, Owner of the Tormenta FC soccer team and the Club House. Speakers included:
- Benjy Thompson, CEO Development Authority of Bulloch County
- Jonathan McCollar, Mayor of Statesboro
- Roy Thompson, Chairman, Bulloch County Commission
- Mandy Fortune, Chair, Statesboro Chamber of Commerce
- Skip Alford, Executive Director, Statesboro Bulloch Chamber of Commerce
- Bob Peck, Director of Development, Watkins Real Estate Group
- Jay Wilcox, District Manager, Publix Super Market
This was a monumental moment in our community. One that many have dreamed of for decades. This development of 12.667 acres at the front corner of the 300 acre track sets the stage of incredible possibilities to come.
It will still be a few months before citizens will see actual construction begin on the site. Publix announced earlier in a Grice Connect story that their hope is to have the store open in late 2022.
The new Publix will have a mezzanine and outdoor balcony which will serve as a gathering spot for clients. They are also incorporating Georgia Southern University colors throughout the shopping center.
When open, Publix will employee between 150 and 200.
Here is a livestream of the ground breaking: