Thursday night Statesboro Fire Department responded to a home fire alarm at 219 Timberline Drive. When firefighters arrived at the residence, the family was not overly concerned and assumed the smoke that set off the alarm was caused by a fire in the fireplace.

According to SFD Battalion Chief Derrel Melton, upon inspection firefighters discovered there was indeed a fire in the wall around and above the fireplace. As a precaution, Chief Melton requested a full response and which brought additional personal and equipment to the scene in addition to Fire Chief Tim Grams and Deputy Chief Bobby Duggar.

Bulloch County Fire Department also responded to provide assistance with units from Brooklet. After opening up the wall around the fireplace they located the fire. Firefighters were able to contain the fire to this area of origin and directly above that location.

Because of the diligent and rapid response by the Statesboro Fire Department, the home did not suffer extreme damage.

The home owners were fortunate the smoke alarm activated and automatically dispatched the fire department.

Second Fire Alarm Fire Response this Week

This is the second fire this week that initially came in as a fire alarm call where the occupants did not think the fire was threatening. The last one was on Wednesday evening at Willow Pond which began with an issue in an electrical panel. Thanks to the diligence of the firefighters, the majority of Willow Pond was saved.

Chimney Fire Two Weeks Ago Destroys Irongate Home

Two weeks ago, a home in Irongate subdivision was total loss after a fire that began in the chimney. When Statesboro firefighters arrived on the scene, the fire was fully involved and flames were already breaking through the roof of the home.

The home was a total loss.

Fire Safety is a Must

As weather begins to cool off, Statesboro Fire Chief Tim Grams encourages citizens to make sure they have working smoke detectors in their home. They also should have their fireplaces inspected regularly and have a family fire safety plan. You should use space heaters with caution. Make sure the space heaters are not too close to a wall or have objects in front of the heaters. Never use an extension cord with a space heater.

Statesboro Fire Department offers Community Resources

More than 3,500 Americans die each year in fires and approximately 18,300 are injured. An overwhelming number of fires occur in the home. There are time-tested ways to prevent and survive a fire. It’s not a question of luck, It’s a matter of good Public Education.

The Statesboro Fire Department believes one of the best ways to eliminate the loss of life or property is through Public Fire Safety Education. They offer a wide variety of education opportunities such as fire safety talks, show-n-tells, tours of the station, fire extinguisher training and much more.

You can Submit a request for education oppotunities.

SFD is happy to do a free home inspection. You can make a request for a home inspection by clicking here.

DeWayne Grice

Herschel DeWayne Grice is the founder of Grice Connect an online news and information company in Statesboro, Georgia. DeWayne has been active in the media for over three decades. He brings a unique insight...