Last Friday, July 31, Bulloch County Schools ended its Feed-A-Kid program that was launched on March 17, in response to school closures due to COVID-19. However, a 1,000 family food drop is scheduled for August 8th. Read below for more information on the drop and other food options.
There are no words to adequately thank Bulloch Schools Nutrition, Transportation, and School Social Work employees, or the faculty volunteers for their hard work and dedication to Bulloch County children.
For the past 20 weeks, they have prepared and delivered a total of 485,256 meals. Each weekday they responded to families at up to 78 delivery locations to place meal bags packed with breakfast and lunch in the hands of as many as 2,900 children per day. As program ends to transition into a new school year, please help us thank them for their service, and help us make families in need aware of these available school and community food resources.
- Meals at School: The first day of school is Monday, August 17. Breakfast and lunch are served daily.
- School Meal Prices: School meal costs for 2020-2021 are the following: Breakfast is free for all students; Lunch is $2.25 for elementary schools and $2.50 for middle and high schools; and the reduced cost for lunch is $.40 cents.
- Free & Reduced-Price Meals: Students who received free and reduced-priced meals last school year will continue to receive assistance until September 29. After that date a completed and approved 2020-2021 application for meal assistance must be on file. The school district will distribute printed applications or families can complete the application online.
- School Meals for Virtual Program: For families who chose virtual instruction for their children, the school district is finalizing a plan for access to school meals. Details will be communicated soon.
Food drop for 1000+ families is Aug. 8
A food drop for more than 1,000 families will be held on Saturday, August 8, beginning at 9:30 a.m., at Julia P. Bryant Elementary School (421 West Main Street) in Statesboro.
Boxes with a one-week supply of perishable and non-perishable food supplies will be distributed to any families in need. This will be curbside distribution only.
For public health and safety, families are asked to remain in their vehicles and volunteers will load the food into your vehicle. This food drop is a partnership with the Second Harvest/Feeding America Food Bank. A special thank you to Bulloch VOAD and Feed the Boro for coordinating this effort and to the Statesboro Kiwanis Club for their financial sponsorship to make it possible.
- Each Monday, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. – Christian Social Ministries Food Bank, 31 North Zetterower Avenue, Statesboro.
- Each Saturday, 12 noon – 1 p.m. – Statesboro First United Methodist Church, 101 South Main, Statesboro. Public Soup Kitchen. Meals available for pick up only at the rear of the church.
- Monday, July 27, beginning at 10 a.m. – at Portal City Hall. Second Harvest Emergency Food Drop. Curbside distribution of food supplies.
- Pandemic EBT Benefits – The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food and Nutrition Service is distributing Pandemic-Electronic Benefit Transfers (P-EBT) to eligible families. This began on Tuesday, July 28. The one-time funds of $256.50 per eligible child is intended to help prevent food insecurity for families with children. No application is necessary if you already receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) funds and if your child received free or reduced-price school meals last year. The funds will be automatically placed on your EBT card. If you feel you are eligible and you did not receive funds or you are not on SNAP or school meal assistance, you can apply online. Bulloch County Schools does not determine eligibility for this program. For more information or assistance, please call the Department of Family & Childrens Services’ Customer Contact Center at 1-877-423-4746 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Compassion Christian Church, 831 Cawana Drive – 1st and 3rd Saturdays, 9 a.m. – 11 a.m.
- Eastern Heights Church, 23805 Highway 80 East, 2nd Saturdays, 9 a.m. – 11 a.m.
- Statesboro Food Bank, 400 Donnie Simmons Way. If anyone needs food or knows someone, especially elderly call 912-489-3663 between 11 a.m. – 3 p.m., to schedule a pickup of food. Open Monday – Friday.
- Friendship Baptist Church, 4025 Friendship Church Road, Wednesdays, 1 p.m. – 3 p.m.