- EGRMC currently/today caring for 15 COVID-19 positive patients today. (May or may not be Bulloch County Residents) 4 COVID-19 patients on vents. These numbers are the lowest we have seen in a while. They continue a slow downward trend
Bulloch County Schools COVID-19 Positive Report:
- Total Known Positive COVID-19 Cases Reported : 6
- Total persons quarantined for precaution as a result of close contact with these reported cases as of 08/21/20: 82 students and employees
- Langston Chapel Middle School- 1 case; 25 quarantined
- Mattie Lively Elementary School – 1 case; 7 quarantined
- Nevils Elementary School – 1 case; 19 quarantined
- Portal Elementary School – 3 case; 31 quarantined
- An administrator at Bulloch Academy stated they are contacting parents of close contacts according to DPH guidelines to notify them to quarantine and with information of the date their child would be allowed to return. BA is also contacting all families within the same class to notify them of a positive case within the class. The are fully complying with DPH contact tracing and protocols.
Georgia Southern University
We are also receiving reports from students, staff, faculty and parents of Georgia Southern University students confirming positive cases on campus. A Georgia Southern spokesperson today said they will have a system in place by Monday to give updates on positive cases on campus. In a previous statement, we were told they would only have access to positive cases confirmed through the health center. We are unclear if this will include student athletes or if they will be recorded separately.
Local Address Must Be Given for Test to Show in Bulloch totals
It is important that Georgia Southern students who are tested outside of the GSU Health Center use their current address in Statesboro, not their permanent home address. Otherwise, the results will be recorded in their home county, even though they are living in our community. If you are a student, and receive a COVID-19 test at the health department, urgent care or local doctors office you must provide your local address for the test results to show in Bulloch County numbers.
Targets to get COVID-19 under control
The World Health Organization and White House guidelines call for sustained positivity rates of 5% or less and positive case rate less than 100 per 100,000.
- Bulloch County 14 day average of positive cases per 100,000 is 286 and percent of positive tests is 11.9%. (Targets are below 100 per 100,000 and positive tests at 5% or below).
- 1,467 Total confirmed cases and 19 deaths total reported here with 103 hospitalizations total. Up 7 confirmed since yesterday. (These figures apply to Bulloch County Residents)
- EGRMC currently/today caring for 15 COVID-19 positive patients today. (May or may not be Bulloch County Residents) 4 COVID-19 patients on vents. EGRMC has 17 total vents. However, this is reporting only COVID-19 patients on vents. It is unknown how many actual vents are in use at this time.
- Bulloch EMS received notice of 80 confirmed COVID-19 positive and 96 probable patients transported to date.
BULLOCH COUNTY LONG-TERM CARE FACILITY 8/19/20 COVID-19 REPORT:
|FACILITY||# RES.||POS RES.||COVID DEATHS||RES. TESTED||RECOVER||POS. STAFF|
BULLOCH COUNTY TOTAL COVID-19 DEATHS
- Evans County 14 day average of positive cases per 100,000 is 758 and percent of positive tests is 21.1%. (Targets are below 100 per 100,000 and positive tests at 5% or below).
- 332 Total confirmed cases and 4 deaths total reported with 23 total hospitalizations. (This is an increase of 4 confirmed cases, increase of 0 hospitalizations and 0 deaths from yesterday)
- Evans COVID-19 deaths:
- 59 year old, African American male with comorbidity
- 62 year old, white male with comorbidity
- 67 year old, African American male with comorbidity
- 76 year old, African American male with comorbidity
- Candler County 14 day average of positive cases per 100,000 is 424 and percent of positive tests is 20.0%. (Targets are below 100 per 100,000 and positive tests at 5% or below).
- 303 total confirmed cases and 11 deaths total reported with 15 total hospitalizations. (This is an increase of 6 confirmed cases, increase of 0 hospitalizations and an increase of 0 death from yesterday)
- Candler’s COVID-19 deaths
Order AGE SEX COUNTY RACE COMORBIDITY 4 46 Female Candler White Yes 10 53 Male Candler Black No 2 56 Female Candler Black Yes 8 61 Male Candler White No 6 64 Female Candler Black No 5 68 Male Candler White No 11 70 Male Candler Black No 1 73 Female Candler White No 7 75 Female Candler White No 9 83 Male Candler Black Yes 3 86 Male Candler White Yes
Exceeding hospital bed and staff capacity is why leaders continue calling for citizens to wear a mask, social distance, wash hands and avoid crowds to slow the spread and not overwhelm our hospital.
The Georgia Tech COVID-19 risk assessment planning tool shows the risk level of attending an event in any county in America, given the event size and location (assuming 10:1 ascertainment bias). The risk level is the estimated chance (0-100%) that at least 1 COVID-19 positive individual will be present at an event in a county, given the size of the event. Choose an event size. Use the drop-down menu to choose a county you would like to zoom in on.
Note: The graphs depict total tests and not the number of persons tested. Some individuals may be tested multiple times.
Weekly Testing Numbers
The following graph depicts the number of specimens collected for testing by the Southeast Health District each week. Tests are also performed by private physicians, hospitals, federally qualified health centers, urgent care centers, among others so this number is not a comprehensive total of all testing done in our area.
InfogramPercentage of COVID-19 Positive TestsThe graph below shows the percentage of COVID-19 positive specimens collected by the Southeast Health District and processed through our main laboratory (Ipsum Diagnostics), beginning May 25, 2020.Evaluating the percentage of positive test results can give you a better understanding of the spread of COVID-19.
As we continue to listen to Grice Connect followers, consult with a team of local doctors and community health leaders we adjust our report and dashboard to provide citizens and business leaders the best data possible to allow you to make informed decisions about the virus.
Having accurate data is critical to seeing where we measure up with in our region and state. We continue to work daily poring over data and resources to monitor and sort through a large amount of information to compile our daily reports.
Grice Connect New COVID-19 Dashboard
A special thanks to Dr. Frank Davis, M.D. F.A.C.S, a retired trauma surgeon who lives in Bulloch County. He has worked closely with the Grice Connect team to design the new dashboard and provide brief interpretation of the data. You will be seeing and hearing more from Dr. Davis as he continues to help us monitor the COVID-19 impact locally.
We also want to thank Sean Davis and his team at Glenn Davis Insurers and Auto Owners Insurers for stepping up to sponsor this massive effort daily. They understand the importance of providing the best local data possible so their clients, family and friends can navigate this continuing crisis.
With Bulloch County Schools and Georgia Southern University returning to classes tomorrow, this will increase the importance of monitoring COVID-19.
Thanks for supporting and following Grice Connect.