Last updated on October 14, 2018
From the Bulloch County EMA…
Michael 11am update from the NHC:
Michael has strengthened to a Cat 3 storm since the 2pm update from the NHC. It is a very dangerous hurricane.
– Michael continues to strengthen with winds now at 145 mph
– Moving North/northeast at 15 mph
– Currently making landfall near Panama City
– Rainfall of 3-5 inches starting today through Thursday
– Tropical Storm force winds will arrive Wednesday most likely starting early evening and continuing through Thursday morning.
– Isolated flash flooding possible starting tonight through Thursday
– Some downed trees and power lines are possible
– Power outages are expected
– Isolated tornadoes possible mainly Wednesday afternoon through Thursday morning.
A good Samaritan shelter will be opened at First Baptist Church in Statesboro Ga. at 108 North Main Street. The shelter will open at 3pm today/Wednesday. Bring medications and bedding material. Also enough personal supplies for 2 days. No pets allowed. Thanks to FBC. The latest path with expected impact is attached.
We are asking citizens to stay put in a safe location until the storm passes and we have the opportunity to assess damages and potential dangers to the public. We want you to know that in the case of an absolute emergency we will respond to calls for service but in the event that it becomes too dangerous for our Deputies to be on patrol we will stage them in a safe place until the storm passes. Unless the situation turns grave Sheriff Brown has no plans to initiate any type of curfew other than asking citizens to please use common sense and not be out in the storm unless it is an absolute emergency. We will update any changes or concerns as information is available.